Hometown: Dharwad, Karnataka
Age: 56 Years
Some Lesser Known Facts About Satish Maneshinde
- Satish Maneshinde, a senior advocate, is India’s one of the most expensive criminal lawyers whose clientele includes the country’s high-profile circle.
- According to some reports, Satish belongs to a middle-class family of Dharwad in Karnataka who came to Mumbai looking for a job after completing his graduation in law.
- In an interview, Satish revealed that he was a student leader in his college, and he led many protests and agitations. Maneshinde was also awarded the outstanding student award in the moot court competition. He added,
My principal in the college got really concerned about me and gave me a warning that if I don’t get disciplined and serious about my studies, he will throw me out. Having said that, the principal gave me a separate room in the college where I used to study for at least 12-14 hours a day. Subsequently, I passed college with good ranks.”
- In 1983, Mr Maneshinde started off as a junior lawyer in Mumbai under the celebrated criminal lawyer late Ram Jethmalani, one of the top advocates in the country. Satish worked as an apprentice to Jethmalani for almost ten years during which he handled civil and criminal cases of many high-profile personalities of India. Recalling his days with Jethmalani, Satish said,
I had heard and read of Ram Jethmalani when I was a school student. In 1983, I accidentally met him in the Bombay High Court and mustered the courage to request him to take me as his understudy. I was called to his office the same evening and he agreed. I had the opportunity to work with him 18 hours a day in the initial stages of my career.”
- In 1993, Maneshinde became part of the legal team that represented actor Sanjay Dutt in the Bombay blast case. The lawyer was successful in securing bail for the actor. The case pushed Maneshinde into the limelight and made him known as one of the top criminal lawyers in the country for high-profile cases. Later, he was also part of the legal team that defended Dutt in the Arms Act case in 2007.
- The lawyer has also defended one of the top Bollywood actors, Salman Khan, in the drunk driving case in 2002 and successfully secured bail for Khan. Satish again represented Salman in the 1998 Blackbuck poaching case.
- He is also the Special Public Prosecutor in the 2020 Palghar lynching case. Satish has also represented model-actress Rakhi Sawant in the past in another abetment to suicide case. His other famous cases include Chhota Rajan’s wife Sujata Nikalje’s criminal case, the controversial Mumbai Police inspector Daya Nayak’s disproportionate assets case, bookie Shoban Mehta’s match-fixing case, and more.
- In October 2021, the go-to lawyer of celebrities was again called for his services by Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan to defend his son Aryan Khan who was arrested by the NCB in the cruise drug case.