Liju Krishna is an Indian scriptwriter and film director, who predominantly works in the Malayalam entertainment industry.
Liju Krishna was born on 23 February (age 30 years; as of 2022), and he hails from Maloor, Kannur, Kerala. He did his schooling at Mambaram Higher Secondary School, Mambaram, Kerala. After pursuing his film education in Chennai, Liju returned to Kerala, where he attended the School of Drama & Fine Arts, Thrissur.
His father’s name is V Balakrishnan, and his mother’s name is PV Radhamani.
Allegedly, Liju Krishna was in a romantic relationship with the crew member whom he was accused of raping in 2022. Liju made acquaintance with the woman via social media and was in a live-in relationship with her. The Facebook page of Women in Cinema Collective (WCC) featured the testimony of the rape victim which stated that the crew member got pregnant in January 2021, but she suffered a miscarriage due to the continuing sexual violence.
Liju Krishna started his journey as a writer and director with the independent short film titled ‘Photogenic.’
In June 2017, he released another independent Malayalam short film ‘Ima,’ produced by Malayalam actor Sunny Wayne’s production house Saga Entertainment and featuring veteran actor Pratap Pothen.
In 2014, he designed, wrote, and directed the Malayalam play ‘Moment Just Before Death.’ A theatrical production of Saga Entertainment, the play premiered at JT Pac in Tripunithura, Kochi. The play showcases the memories of a dying man with the aspect to portray Northern Kerala’s traditions and life in a contemporary light. Lack of intimate theatrical spaces (like a black box) made it difficult to host the play convincingly across Kerala. Despite the lack of infrastructure, the 75-minute-long play was presented at numerous festivals including the 8th Theatre Olympics and Indie Best Film Festival (Ibestff) in 2018.
Liju Krishna made his directorial debut in Mollywood with the 2022 political drama film ‘Padavettu,’ starring the Malayalam actor Nivin Pauly. He is also the writer of the film. In 2022, while ‘Padavettu’ was still in post production, Liju was taken into custody by the police for alleged rape.
On 6 March 2022, Liju Krishna was arrested in Kannur, Kerala, after being accused of rape by a crew member of Liju’s film ‘Padavettu.’ Reportedly, the director assaulted the woman on numerous occasions over the period of six months, starting from 21 June 2020, before she finally decided to lodge a complaint. Following a complaint filed by a woman at the Infopark police station in Kakkanad, the Women in Cinema Collective (WCC) demanded that Liju Krishna should be barred from the film industry until the verdict.
Awards, Honours, Achievements
- Received the Young Artist Award 2011-12 from the Ministry of Culture
- Won Mahindra Excellence in Theatre Award (2014) for the play ‘Moment Just Before Death’
- Received a memento in 2015 from Kerala Sangeetha Nataka Akademi / International Theatre Festival of Kerala (ITFOK) for the play ‘Moment Just Before Death’
- Received a memento from Government of Kerala—Department of Information – Public Relations at National Theatre Festival for the play ‘Moment Just Before Death’ in 2015
- Musician: Balabhaskar (violinist)
- Filmmaker: K. G. George, Satyajit Ray
- Folk Singer: C. J. Kuttappan
- In an interview, while talking about his equal pursuance in the field of film and theatre, he said,
Cinema and theatre have two languages, and when you understand both you grow stronger in your creative capacities.”
- After completing his higher studies, the director returned to his native place and cast around a thousand denizens of Maloor in his debut film, Padavettu (2022). He also provided the junior artists six months of acting training in Maloor. Some of them also used their own clothes as costumes for the film.
Go Social CBlog Biography Lyrics Sarkari Naukri
Best Gadgets Health & Fitness